Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sea Olympics!

Sea Olympics!
The last few days have been really busy. We had sea Olympics, I had a test in my women’s studies class, and last night was Mr. SAS.
From the beginning of the voyage, each hallway on the ship has been divided into different “seas.” There are about 9 or 10 different seas, including the silver sea, which all of the faculty, staff and lifelong learners belong to. (Silver being a very appropriate name for them, considering over 50% have gray hair.) Jess and I were apart of the Adriatic Sea. Preparing for the sea Olympics was a great way to meet people who live around us. About once a week while at sea we would have “Sea Socials” to talk about the upcoming sea Olympic events, make up chants, etc. Some people got really into it. Jess and I signed up for the photo scavenger hunt, and we brought home the only gold our team got! Other events included volleyball, dodge ball, slippery twister, synchronized swimming, and many, many more. It was a long day, but was a lot of fun. The day ended with a lip sync competition that was extremely entertaining. Each sea had a team of about five or six people and had to choreograph a singing and dancing routine. Most were hilarious, making fun of things on the ship like how everyone loves taco day because really good food on the ship is hard to come by. Our team didn’t end up placing, which would have been really cool because the reward for the first place team is getting off the ship first in Miami, although that wouldn’t really do me any good considering I don’t leave until 6 that evening. Jess and I were really just hoping for second or third place because it had the best prize of all… free internet minutes… a hot commodity on the ship. One thing I definitely took for granted while at home was speedy internet and access to it almost everywhere! That definitely isn’t the case on the ship. Yesterday I had my Women’s studies mid-term over the very sad and not-so-cheery things we’ve been discussing. It’s great that we don’t have a lot of class, but it definitely makes it difficult when a midterm is over only 10 days of class, six novels and a text book. Last night was the Mr. SAS competition, which was a charity event for SOS (Students of Service). SOS tries to raise money throughout the voyage from students, faculty, staff and lifelong learners to donate to four charities they have selected. Some of SOS’ chosen charities include Habitat for Humanity (two houses have already been built while in South Africa by SAS students), Kiva, where our goal is to micro-lend as much money to as many people as possible, and Invisible Children. Each of the male participants was to try to raise as much money before the event, which counted for a percentage of their score. From the Mr. SAS event alone, almost $4,000 was raised. Last semester’s voyage was able to raise a total of $45,000 from competition events like Mr. SAS, as well as silent auctions and other fundraisers. The guys also had to do a talent, and answer a question. The winner was the Chinese student, Chi, who no matter what he said sounded hilarious, even if he wasn’t trying. His question was something like what have you learned while on SAS. He responded with something like: “I love American culture. I have a girlfriend, but who cares, it’s OK! I love American girls.” It was hilarious in his very broken and choppy English. Needless to say, he got a standing ovation for a great answer, and swept the competition.

We arrive in India tomorrow morning, and don’t have plans for the first day. Jess, Tessa, and I leave with SAS on Wednesday morning for our trip to Delhi. Taking food from the dining halls isn’t allowed, but I’ve been sneaking little boxes of cereal out in the mornings so I have something to eat incase the food in India is as dangerous as I hear it is. Our inner-port student spoke last night at our cultural pre-port about what to wear, what not to wear, and the three different temperatures in India: hot, hotter, hottest. She let us know that we are arriving during the “hotter” season, but dressing conservatively is still important. We also discussed the huge risk you take by crossing the street, even in a cross walk, due to crazy and un-yielding traffic (maybe cross the street with the sacred animal- the cow), as well as the custom of only taking and giving things with your right hand, even eating. (I’m not sure what they want lefties to do… maybe they don’t have left-handed people in India??) I’m sure there will be a lot of interesting stories the next time I write. Until next time! Xoxo Marissa

2 comments:

Courtney said...

BIG!! I miss you... I'm glad to hear everything is going wonderful!!! I CANNOT WAIT until you come back...I miss you not being here... but you will always be my big still!!! I LOVE YOU and stay safe!!!!
<3 LITTLE!

Brenda Colvin said...

Marissa,
Safe travels in India; I have yet to get a card off to you! I am so bad! I will get one off soon! I'm sure you are glad to be on land again, sounds as though they make the time on the ship fun with the many activities! Take care, I can't wait to hear about all you do and see while in India! From my heart, Mrs C