Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My 21st Birthday in the Bahamas/ First Day at Sea!!

Our trip to the Bahamas was awesome! We arrived on Sunday to a cloudy day and were a little bummed we couldn't lay out, however the weather didn't put a damper on my birthday celebrations!! :) My first shot as a 21 year old was quite an interesting one, bought by Carmen Evans, Tessa's mom, and I won't repeat the name because I don't think it's appropriate for all to read! ;) Anyways, it was a flaming shot (meaning the waiter lit it on fire) and I wasn't really sure how to take it. Jess sitting next to me told me to put my straw in it, meaning to take it through the straw, which a) didn't occur to me and b) I had never heard of doing so.... what I thought she meant was by sticking the straw in the shot glass the flame would go out, well that wasn't what happened, instead I lit the straw on fire! When I realized this I freaked out and dropped the straw on my place mat, then lighting my whole place mat on fire! Scary! I finally was able to blow it out, while myself and the rest of the table full of people were cracking up, and took the shot. (which wasn't horrible, but not great either!) Anyways, the rest of the birthday was fabulous, ending in a spectacular dining experience at Graycliff restaurant, which was phenomenal! I was very lucky to spend my 21st with family, great friends, Ryan, and his wonderful family!
First Day at Sea:
I boarded the ship with the first group of people bright and early at 8am (yay for being at the beginning of the alphabet!) I got on the ship rather quickly, got my baggage shortly after and was able to almost fully unpack before Jess got to our room. The room size isn't too bad, and there is enough room for all of our stuff! Our family and friends were able to come on the boat to say a final tearful farewell and we were on our own! The ship set sail shortly after and it has been quite a ride already... a little like being in a cradle. You can feel the ship a little more than cruises I have been on in the fast, but I hear you get used to it pretty fast! We have meetings tonight and orientation all day tomorrow, then our first day of class Friday! Saturday we arrive in San Juan, Puerto Rico and as of yet, we have no set plans. We are looking forward to some laying out in the sun by the pool on the ship and meeting new people! Until next time!
xoxo, Marissa

10 comments:

OlddadinSouthlake said...

Pris....I send out your blog address to friends and family....great hearing you are gearing up for a good time. Try to study along the way. Be safe...love you.

Unknown said...

Hi Prissy,

I am so glad you had a great birthday! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures. Be careful and wear your sunscreen!

XOXO,

Deidre

amanda Thompson said...

Hi

Happy Birthday!

Can't believe little loo loo is 21!

Take care and keep us updated.

love ,
Amanda

John C said...

Marissa, It was great to be a part of the celebration and the bon voyage festivities. Have a wonderful time experiencing the world.
Mr C

Brenda Colvin said...

Marissa!
We all had a wonderful time with you and everyone else! Seeing where you will be living over the next 3 months made it a bit easier saying farewell for now! Hello to Tessa and Jess! Be safe, from my heart! Blessings upon you always! Mrs Colvin

OlddadinSouthlake said...

Pris....got your postcard Friday pm...it worked great and if you can use it without burning up your precious internet minutes .....I would certainly use it as often as practical. Good thinking! Nice job. Buddy and girlfriend by the way bonded considerably while we were away. I understand from Ann that Girlfriend and Boomer are sleeping together now at the foot of the Luce's bed. (I knew she would cheat on my first chance she got! :)

Talk to you Sat morn.

Love ya.

Janice Colvin said...

Hey Marissa,

Glad to hear everything is going well so far. Can't wait to read about your adventures in the next few months! I'm going to make sure Aubie knows how to access your blog because when I told her you were going to do it, she made me promise to send her the info! I think if she could have stowed away in your suitcase she would have! Be safe, but be adventurous...AJOWO

OlddadinSouthlake said...

It's a girl!!!!!!!!

8 and 1

Brenda Colvin said...

Great news!!!!! I've been thinking about Chris and Rachel all day!!!!!! Hope she got to feeling better quickly after arriving home last week! What a great time we had in the Bahamas, fun send off for the girls! Marissa, you are on my mind every day, just thinking about all the wonderful experiences you will have! Enjoy every minute! Safe travels!!!!!! ILY!!!!!!!!!

Brenda Colvin said...

Marissa ~
I thought I sent a message on the 6th but it doesn't show; so I'll try again this morning. I hope you have had a great time in Brazil doing lots of fun things! I think this evening is when you ship out again. I sure have been thinking so very much about you! When you are on land its hard not hearing what you are doing each day. My parents are moved in; last Saturday was moving day! They are loving their home and being here! I just wish Aubie and Poppy were still here too, we miss them! All of our family asks about you and how everything is going while you are at sea! Many thoughts and prayers are with you my dear! Continue to have fun and be safe! Blessings upon you always! From my heart, Mrs C